Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Day 42 - Company of Soldiers' Angels Appreciated!


Today, Hot Springs "Soldiers' Angels" packed 23 boxes of goodies headed to Wayne's World for distribution in Iraq.

(L to R) Bill Walker, Ellen Webb, Ellen Walker, Gayle Barns, Pat and Paul Woodward. (Not pictured: Sandra Malone) Posted by Hello

The note from Wayne which follows is for all of you that helped us pull this off. Those 23 boxes were filled with snacks and toiletries, but they also held your love and compassion and oh, how that is appreciated. I am sending all your names to Rebecca to pass on to the guys. We are still receiving paperbacks, money for postage, etc....and I'm thinking it would be fun to get together and make the guys some cookies and send them all at once. After all, there are 100 of them and if you had kids, you know how fast cookies go. We also have some more boxes, so if you have anything more, let me know...

Just want to say one thing regarding the hesitancy that some people feel about doing anything at all to support this war. I want you to understand that this is not a political movement, it is an act of kindness to kids who are far away from home and whose days are brighter because they know that people back home have enough heart to remember them. If your son or daughter were there, wouldn't you appreciate it? I know I would.

This will be an ongoing effort until they are able to get a mobile PX in their area, so jump in anytime. As soon as things calm down for Bill and I, you will be receiving a Soldiers' Angels party invite. We want to thank you in person and be sure you meet Rebecca and Myron and perhaps Lauren, Wayne's fiancee. And, we'll do it again to welcome him home.

Again, many, many thanks for your support,
Ellen

Mrs. Walker,

This is Wayne West. I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate all the effort you put into getting all that stuff for my company. I know the guys will be thankful too. Not having any lunch can be rough some times. We're all trying to do whatever we can to keep from losing weight, so thank you tremendously for everything you've done.

I look forward to meeting you when I come home for my two week leave. You might even get to meet my fiance. I have sent mom a couple of pictures from out here. The computers take, what seem like decades, to attach a picture. Although I'm not able to send too many, the ones she has, I'm sure she'd be glad to share them with you.

Once again, thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope you have a fantastic day!
Wayne

<