Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Day 27 - Strawberry Milk and 3-Minute Showers

Yesterday, I found online pictures of the Forward Operating Base (FOB) where Wayne is stationed, which I emailed with the question, 'Is this what it's like there?'

Yea, that's pretty much what it looks like, although we're not staying in the same building. I'm not sure which one that is. Since there aren't any places for us to hook up a laptop, I can't send any pics :-(

The food does come in boxes like that, though. Another thing: I can already tell I'm going to lose some weight while I'm here. They cook only breakfast and supper, and it's not 'eat all you want.' We have lots of gatorade, banana and strawberry milk to drink. Thats right, no regular milk for cereal.

And finally: 3-minutes showers!! That one hurts. I've never taken a 3-minute shower in my life except to get ready for a date with Lauren one time.

OK, I have to get back. Lauren and I have an on-line date at 11:00 AM your time.

Love you,
wayne

<