Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Day 248 - Steamy Storm Story

I can't recall ever having met Beverly Heggwood in person. One of our advertisers asked me to get permission to take a picture of her floors to use in their magazine ad this month. Once we started talking on the phone, Beverly and I just sort of hit it off.

“Wanna hear another story?” my new friend asked, after telling me how she had braved long lines at the gas station yesterday to top off her tank in anticipation of Hurricane Rita.

“It was Get the Man day for me!” she snickered, introducing her sassy side. “I parked hood to hood with a young man who finished filling up just as I flipped the lever to start pumping my gas.”

’Move your car! I’m in a hurry!’ the guy said, peering at me,” Beverly continued. “Well, I didn’t want to cancel my transaction, so I asked him to hold the nozzle while I moved my car. Just about the time he grabbed it, the SUV parked behind his car backed away. He shoved the nozzle back my way, jumped in his car and started to back up, but not before the next car pulled up into the empty space and blocked him in again.”

"Totally frustrated, the man jumped out of his car and repeated his ultimatum. ‘I SAID I’m in a hurry! Now MOVE YOUR CAR!’”

Beverly interrupted her story to tell me she’s only five feet tall, but still a lot like her 85-year-old mother. She also mentioned thinking something about hell freezing over as she marched toward His Rudeness.

“He wasn’t much taller than I am with heels on,” she sneered, “but you couldn’t have put a piece of paper between our noses by the time I stopped. I looked him squarely in the eyeballs and spoke very slowly:
“S A Y… P L E AS E!!”

He did. Beverly handed him the nozzle a second time before moving her car so that he could drive off.

The guy is probably still thinking about his first encounter with a Cat 5 hurricane on two legs.

<