Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Day 309 - Creating Peace on Earth

One of the ways I create peace in my own life is by listening to peaceful music. Finding the right CD is hard, especially because most projects don't deliver 60-90 minutes of peace. Instead, they drag the listener along a bumpy ride of different tempos and changing volume.

Back in August, I attended a conference in Eureka Springs, Ark., where Jeff Greene was leading worship.

Jeff called Monday night to tell Myron and me about his new website, which features two of his new CDs. This morning, I wrapped myself in his beautiful melody called "Going Home." Besides creating a peaceful atmosphere to cradle the dawn of a very busy day, this particularly calming selection helps me visualize Wayne finally stepping off the plane onto American soil.

"Child of Wonder" is Jeff's new offering for babies and younger children. I'm buying several copies for the small ones in our family. In the meantime, his Christmas CD is my constant companion in the car.

You can meet Jeff and find his music here.

Last week, while traveling on a press tour in south Texas, I met a new friend, Cheri Sicard. Author of FabulousFoods.com and FabulousTravel.com, Cheri is a virtual treasure chest of ideas and information.

After talking with Cheri about Wayne and his mission in Iraq, she told me of a project which is dear to her heart. Cheri's book, The Great American Handbook, describes what we, as a passionate citizens, can do for our country today and every day. Lots of copies available for less than a buck apiece here.

Today, I'm grateful for two more new friends. Jeff and Cheri have each enriched my life, helped to make my shopping easier, and are genuinely promoting the cause of world peace.

<