Day 117 - Barefootin' It
Here's the latest news from Wayne's Forward Operating Base (FOB):
1. The area had three big sandstorms Thursday.
2. One hour after they were scheduled to perform, the USO show called to cancel.
3. The first phones arrived, but there is no power to run them.
4. Temperature in the tents is 106 degrees.
5. One soldier found a scorpion crawling on the wall of his tent yesterday.
6. A truck driver bringing supplies to the base was killed by an IED yesterday.
Here's the latest news from Wayne:
1. The chow hall has new chairs and tables.
2. The base is getting a new workout area.
3. The Iraqi children need shoes.
"The skin on the bottom of their feet is nearly an inch thick," he marveled. "It has to be, so that the children can walk on the rocks and hot sand. To have shoes is a very big deal. I wish we could collect some shoes."