Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Day 256 - Good News Sunday

"For behold! I have received a text message!

Thursday, I mentioned our first hint of Fall . Saturday, I ran across another blog, apparently written by a talented New Orleanian sheltering in Hot Springs after Kat-Rita. Esme Fachon said what I really meant:

It has been exactly one week since the first day of fall, and already there is a change. The transformation is modest—Autumn is shy as a deer, lingering in the thicket of Evening and Dawn. The afternoon sun is still bright and hot, but there is some undefinable alteration in the quality of light. Something that makes everything look like a photograph. The transition from summer to fall always makes me feel nostalgic, like all around me, my life is happening, and I want to remember all of it.
Over in Mississippi, the editors at Millsaps Magazine have published an article about Wayne’s deployment in their current issue.
To read it, click on the link below.
Scroll down to Departments...Then Campus.
Double click “In The Spotlight.”
When the page opens, click the Forward Arrow at the bottom to page 7.
Ready to read the article? Click here.
From Iraq, the commander of our 155th Mississippi National Guard unit says they have captured an insurgent suspected of killing a Michigan soldier during an August firefight. Army Capt. Lowell Miller II was killed during an attack in Iskandariyah, Iraq, training soldiers for the Iraqi Army.

"But he absolutely loved what he did. He loved being in the military. He loved training soldiers," said his wife Angela, a First Lieutenant in the Michigan National Guard who served in Egypt in 2004. The Flints have two daughters, ages 11 and 7.

Here at home, we’re having a little weekend fun helping a Holly over at Mudville Gazette make a point to a friend who hosts an AM radio talk show: People read blogs.
I'd like to send him some emails from bloggers and blog readers. I've set up the link below to automatically create an email from you to him, CC to me.. .The text of the email is, "Hi Chris, I heard through blogger Holly Aho you are questioning the power of blogs. I'm a blogger/blog reader. Her blog post requests that we send you a few emails to show how blogs are read and heard. Here's my email!"
Wanna play? Holly has Chris's email address linked here.

<