Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Day 287 - Good News Sunday


The last three days have been jam packed with magazine production. Thirteen days out of town this month have taken a heavy toll on my production schedule, a hole I’m not sure I’m out of yet, but at least I've finished the travel story about Fredericksburg, Texas. What a great town!

During the long hours at the computer this weekend, I heard the familiar Brrrring! of Yahoo Instant Messenger. Usually, it’s the quiet days that bother me, but sometimes written news gets my pulse beating faster.

“I ran over an IED yesterday,” Wayne typed much too slowly for my caffeinated mind. “That was interesting.”

“What happened??” I typed furiously.

“First, the vehicle in front of me ran over it… Then I ran over it… Then the third vehicle ran over it and it blew up right behind him. It was night, that's why we didn't see it buried in a dip in the road."

“What did you do??” I hammered.

“Kept on driving. None of the vehicles was hurt, so we kept moving. When we finally did stop, we all got in a circle and prayed.”

Selah.

And that, my friends, is this week’s Good News Sunday.

(Posted at Mudville Gazette.)

<