Staff SGT Donald Wayne West, Jr., enlisted in the United States Army National Guard on September 11, 2001. As part of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Company A of the 150th Combat Engineers served active duty Aug 29, 2004, until Dec 30, 2005. SSGT West returned to college in January, 2006. He married Lauren Ritchie June 9, 2006, at Seaside, Fla., and they have three children. SSGT West completed military service at Camp Minden, LA on Aug 23, 2009.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Day 328B - Five Weird Habits of a Quirky Journalist

OK, I’m not sure how I missed it, but ArmyWifeToddlerMom tagged me a few days ago with the “Five Weird Habits” meme.

Before I started to think about my answers, I had to look up “meme” to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Meme (meem) n.
A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another.

OK, here goes:

1. When I read a newspaper, I read it front to back, one section at a time. When finished, I reassemble the entire paper in sequential order. I will share the entire newspaper; I do not share sections of the paper while I’m reading.

2. I don’t borrow books, because I like to highlight sections and write in the margins.

3. I balance my checkbook at least once a week.


4. I prefer a good fountain pen to any other writing instrument.

5. I sleep with three pillows--one under my head, one between my knees and one hugged to my chest--next to an open window, a bottle of water and the same travel alarm clock I bought to take with me to the hospital when Wayne was born, 22 years ago!

...and this is the best thing I could think of to pass the time waiting to hear the next piece of news from Wayne.

<